Chocolate buttercream is simple to make but just takes a little time. To make sure that the buttercream is light and fluffy, you need to whisk the butter for at least 5 minutes before adding the icing sugar and cocoa powder. This buttercream recipe makes enough for 6 cupcakes or enough to coat 1 x 8 inch cake. To make more, simply double or triple the quantities.
- Electric whisk / stand mixer
- 80 g Room temperature butter
- 160 g Icing Sugar
- 40 g Cocoa powder
- 2-3 tbsp Milk
- Whisk the butter for at least 5 minutes.
- Sift the cocoa powder and icing sugar together and add in stages to the butter, whisking after each addition.
- Add 2-3 tbsp milk. Whisk after each tbsp and check the consistency. It should hold well but not be too stiff or runny. You can use the buttercream straight away.
You can use the buttercream alongside my simple chocolate cake recipe.
If you’d like some further baking inspiration, you can view all of my recipes here.